26 April 2009

you know i have cancer, right?


So those of you who have been following me for a while will remember that every year at this time, I go up to Connecticut to participate in a charity race. I walk in the MMRF Race for Research as a member of the Pop's Posse team. Pops is my uncle Paul. He was diagnosed with multiple myeloma five years ago - a plasma cancer that develops in the bone marrow and interferes with bone health, prevents normal blood clotting, and leads to overworked and failing kidneys.

Ironically, one month after I came home from last year's race, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. But now, less than a year later, I have been declared free of active cancers. Less than one year. And barring any unforeseen complications, my oncologists are confident that I will remain cancer free for a good long while. Maybe even the rest of my life.

But multiple myeloma is different. There is no cure. Remissions happen, but don't last. There are a limited number of therapies, and the more types of treatments a patient uses, the fewer options they have. And the treatments can often have devastating side effects.

Pops isn't the only person I know that has been affected by this cancer. My lifelong best friend Kimberly's mother was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2002. Earlier this month, she lost her battle. This year, I will be racing in her memory.

Please support my efforts by visiting http://321cure.themmrf.org/goto/bonez and making a donation. Any donation. Big. Small. Whatever. Just something. Because if enough people give enough somethings, SOMEDAY someone might be able to say "last year I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, but now I'm OK."

Thank you for supporting my efforts :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Linda. I didn't know about this until now. Makes me realize just how out of touch I am with my extended family. I'm glad to know that you have gotten a healthy diagnosis. For the last two years I've been having abnormal paps until my last one in which I was told (whatever it was) had cleared up. I was really afraid for that time, every time I went in for a test, wondering if it would have turned to something REALLY scary- something that I might really have to face and battle. I'm sorry you had to actually go through the real thing.
I will see you for the walk again this year as part of Pop's Posse! If there is anything I can do to help raise money or participation, please let me know.
Take care and thanks for sharing!
Denise

Anonymous said...

My sweet Linda, It's so nice to hear your latest news, that's what I've prayed for will keep praying. You're looking good, Looking forward to seeing you. I'm sure your courageous
outlook all these past months helped a great deal.Love, Mems

Kimie said...

Thanks...