18 September 2008

ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned off the fasten seatbelt sign: you are now free to move about the cabin

"But in the event of unexpected turbulence, the captain requests that you keep your seatbelt fastened while seated."

So today was another big milestone on this trip to No More Cancer: my first chemo.

MT Jeanne went with me to lend moral support (John had to work). It was good for me because she can put on her nurse's hat and talk me through the rough times. It's also good for you, because she LOVES to take pictures! Without her, this might have just been a boring text-filled post. Let's begin:

Here I am shortly after being hooked up.


I did not enjoy this process: it hurt a little, and then that whole fluid-phobia kicked in. But after a few minutes, I calmed down and was able to enjoy some take-my-mind-off-the-whole-process activities.

Like knitting! I worked for a while on this scarf.


And journaling in my Vera Bradley Mod Floral Pink notebook. If you feel like you must do something to make me feel better, VBMFP might be the way to go! LOL


And, as one can expect wherever MT Jeanne is involved, playing Scrabble!




I was about to make my game-winning play when Nurse SP told me I was done and could go home. Next time, MT J!

I also spent a great deal of time wheeling my IV pole to and from the bathroom. No, I wasn't puking; I had good drugs for that. But I did have to pee about a thousand times during the process (actually, it was more like 5). This is good, because the chemo that I'm getting is renal-toxic, so they like to see my kidneys getting a good flushing. Sadly for you, MT J didn't get any pics of this :(

It might interest you to know that I'm getting the top-of-the-line chemo drug: Cisplatin. Why is it so good? Cisplatin is platinum. That's right, platinum. Not tin, not stainless steel, not silver, not gold. Platinum, baby. Only the best for Bonez! I wonder if my internal treatments will be with radioactive diamonds?!?

And see, at the end of it all, I was still smiling (kinda)!


So far, I feel pretty fine. No nausea yet (knock wood). (Please, I mean it. I'm really superstitious. You'd better be knocking...) I'm just really tired. Which is convenient because all I wanted to do anyway was lay down and watch TV while playing on my laptop!

And tomorrow, I have my first massage therapy to look forward to. I'm sure I'll get over that "don't touch me" thing REALLY quickly!

Again, I can't thank you enough for all your words of encouragement and support. I feel your arms around me and it gives me strength :)

Until next time...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Olive just went nuts as I started banging on my desk! ;-)

~Donna

Jasminebuttrfly said...

You are freaking hilarious! I'm sure I've said it a bunch of times, and if I didn't say it I think it everytime I read one of your posts. Look forward to seeing you again both in and out of work.

healing hugs,
ME

Anonymous said...

View from the the other side of the port:
Medical intake interview.
Get hooked up to IV.
1,000 liter bag infusing.
Chat a while. Pee.
Knit a while. Pee
Eat lunch. Pee.
Chemo drip. Pee.
Play Scrabble. Pee
Knit some more. Pee.
Play more Scrabble. Pee.
Chat with other patients and their significant others. Pee.
Another 1000 liter bag of fluids to flush. Pee.
Vital signs.
Pee before leaving.
Okay, so I counted five more P's than you, but it was a pleasure to spend time with you. Not WHY, but just to be with you. And we must finish that game!!!
--the Photographer :) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

I cry and laugh when I read your Adventures in Oncology blogs. You are a gifted writer, and the humorous way you describe your treatments blow my mind. You may think you're a wuss, but you are extremely COURAGEOUS! Most of us can't be physically there with you, but we are there in spirit and prayer; and because of your blogs, we are getting blow by blow accounts of your battle with this disease. Keep on with your positive & humorous attitude and your blogs while we await the day when you are declared the Victor.
LOVE,
Mom

Anonymous said...

The pictures were beautiful! Everything you wrote shows that you have alot of spunk.
Thank for sharing this time in your life. It means so much to all of us.
You remain in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Mems