17 November 2008

holy crap, i'm actually done


WOW!!! Can you believe it?!? I'm having trouble believing it, lemme tell you.

Those of you keeping up with this blog regularly might be wondering why it took me so long to post this entry, considering my last treatment was five days ago. Five long days ago, November 12, 2008.

Well, I'll tell ya. I wasn't whistling dixie when I said five LONG days. I spent many of them sleeping, most of them in my pyjamas, a few of them battling severe nausea and... let's call it "uncooperative digestion".

But today, I feel good. Today, I actually got up early, showered, got dressed, put on makeup, and went to work. And I actually stayed there all day! It was a good day :)

But last Wednesday, November 12 - not such a good day. Not bad, but worse than expected.

I had hoped to get Nurse J again, even if it meant that she'd have to stick me twice to access my port. And I did get Nurse J, and she did have to stick me twice.

I had hoped to see Oliver before going under anesthesia. And he stopped by to wish me well.

I had hoped the anesthesiologist would give me a good dose of Dexamethazone and Versed. And here's where I stopped getting what I hoped for. Yes, I got the Versed. But the Dex was a no-go. Dex is a steroid that makes me feel - after the procedure is all done - like I can climb a mountain. It means that when I get home from my Brachytherapy, I will sleep for a little, but once I wake up I will feel just fine. Instead of the Dex, I got Reglan. Reglan is for nausea. I should have opened my mouth and insisted on the Dex. But I didn't...

I woke up in recovery feeling the usual pain from the catheter. Let me explain:

*** WARNING: GRAPHIC! Look away if you are squeamish about female stuff, or painful stuff, or gross stuff ***

OK, so basically while I'm under anesthesia, Dr F inserts three lollipop-shaped plastic holders. The big parts of the lollipops are in my uterus. The stick parts of the lollipops are sticking a few inches out of my hoo-hah. Not a pretty picture, I know. But the reason is that they hook me up to this contraption that places the radioactive seeds into the big parts of the lollipops without anyone having to be too involved in my private area. Anyhow, the big parts of the lollipops are in my uterus, which means to get in there they had to be pushed through the very little opening of my cervix. This is why I'm placed under anesthesia. Because it would hurt like hell otherwise! Now, once they are in place, they pack the hoo-hah with... well, packing to make sure everything stays in place. But they pack it so tightly that everything is sorta shoved up against the sides. And "everything" includes my urethra, which has by this point been catheterized. And since it's all being shoved, the catheter really really hurts.

*** OK, Graphic's over, you can look now! ***

So, I'm in recovery with a nurse I don't recognize and didn't have the manners to ask her name. Normally (remember, I've gone through this four times now, and a routine has been established), I will be given Morphine, and then Demerol, and finally Vistaril. This time, Nurse X keeps asking me "How much pain are you in, on a scale from 1-10?" And I say "8 or 9." So she says "Let me give you some morphine." And the next time she's supposed to give me Demerol, but instead she says "Let me give you more morphine." And the next time she's supposed to give me a shot of Vistaril in the thigh, but instead she says "Let me give you more morphine." And I'm sure there was another time, and you guessed it, "more morphine." And because all that morphine makes most people puke their guts out, she gives me an extra shot in the arm of Phenergen IM - an anti-nausea drug. And despite all the morphine, that sucker hurt like the dickens!


I even have a nice shiny souvenir bruise - click here if you'd like to see it!

But once I got to the ROCk, and the treatment got underway, everything went like clockwork. I listened to my mp3 player, chilled out in the nap room, my treatment lasted about 8 minutes, the contraptions were removed, and I was free to go home. But oh man, the morphine was hanging on. And hanging on. And hanging on.

I slept until Friday, basically. Obviously, I got up periodically to eat, drink, pee, etc. But mostly, I was down. I spent some waking moments wondering how anybody ever could be hooked on opiates, seeing as how they make you ssssooooo ddddooooowwwwwnnnn. It was AWFUL!

Saturday, I was awake but very fatigued. John's mom and her friend came to visit and I was awake enough to sit and chat with them for an hour or so out in the back yard (such nice weather). But after that, I needed a little lie-down.

Sunday, the nausea was back. In FULL FORCE. I was a mess! I was devastated - here I'd been hoping that each day I'd feel a little better, but now I'd hit such a set-back. I couldn't believe it.

But then, after dinner, I started to feel a little better. And by this morning, I had energy and I felt good enough to write this blog :)

So, here it is folks! The treatments are ALL FREAKING DONE!!!!!!!!!



Now, I get to wait. I have follow-up appointments on Dec 3 and Dec 10, and then I'll know more about how well all this radioactivity has worked on this cancer.

But until then, thanks so much for everything! The well-wishes, the encouraging emails, the cards, the care-packages, the good karma...

Thanks for all your LOVE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,
SOOOOOOOOOO happy for you that the treatments are DONE,DA, DONE, DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May you sail through the next five years TOTALLY free of illness and planning your tat.

Hope to visit with you sans les IV's et sans les nurses et sans l'hospitale!!!!

Love you lots and wish you good, good, good days loaded with happy Tinkerbell dust!!!!!

MT Jeanne

Anonymous said...

My sweet Linda, So nice to see that schedule chart filled. Now I hope everything goes well so the nausea etc. goes away. I 've been waiting for the blog, now I know you were not feeling good enough to write it. It was worth waiting.You know how much I love you and miss you.The very best to you. Hope we can go out to lunch soon. As usual you're in my thoughts and prayers.Love, Mems

Anonymous said...

Linda:CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So exciting to hear you are all done.You have been a real trooper and everyone's good karma was there just for you.Obviously all the PIXIE DUST worked for you too. Don't ever let anyone tell you there is no magic in pixie dust or Santa Clause or the tooth fairy.As long as you believe good things come true, and good things will come true for you. Keep smiling
luv your cuz...Diane...
P.S. enjoy your great weather... we have SNOW...yuk!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you have finally completed your treatments and that the terrible pain and after effects are behind you. You kept us informed each step of the way and we felt much closer to the process and what you were experiencing. Hope the doctors find that this difficult battle has resulted in conquering the enemy. I just wish that you had included (in your thanks) all the prayers said on your behalf.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that the hard part is over. I am sure you still have some time to go until they give you the green light.

I saw they gave you Reglan...funny, that is what they gave me when I was pumping to increase my milk supply. Weird how a medication that helps nausea can help with breastfeeding.

Anonymous said...

Do you have pictures of the Brachytherapy treatments?
you should post them for others who have to go threw teatment. they will know what to expect. i glad your all done.