17 September 2010

a cog in the mazhine

Tuesday morning, I set out for my third trek to Dana-Farber. I did the driving, and my Mom and MT Bee came too. During the week prior, I had received a 20+-page document detailing the clinical trial that I came here to be part of; I had poured over it several times, highlighting my questions as I went. I brought that with me, along with a stomach-full of apprehension. Oh, and I also brought my Java Blue Maggie Vera Bradley that I bought at Goodwill for $3.

We arrived with enough time to take the scenic route through the city, and still enough time to eat lunch in the D-F cafeteria. My turkey and ham sandwich with mustard, lettuce, tomato, and pickle was tasty, but it had to share room in my tummy with the aforementioned apprehension. I was quite full!

I again met with Paul who took my blood, and then it was off to see Dr C and Nurse C. My Mom & MT Bee came in with me so that they could have the chance to ask their questions and give voice to the apprehensions filling their stomachs (though neither of them really asked much). Dr C did much to allay my fears (albeit while giving rise to new fears) and I felt comfortable signing on the dotted line.

There was still some checking that needed to be done: bloodwork, urinalysis, EKG (which I actually had to go back today to redo).

So.....

Congratulations! I am now a cog a participant in the GOG-0240 Clinical Trial:
A Ramdomized Phase III Trial of Cisplatin Plus Paclitaxel with and without NCI-Supplied Bevacizumab versus the Non-Platinum Doublet Topotecan plus Paclitaxel with and without NCI-Supplied Bevacizumab, in Stage IVB, Recurrent or Persistent Carcinoma of the Cervix

How’s that for a mouthful?

I have been randomly selected to receive regimen 2: Cisplatin, Paclitaxel, and Bevacizumab. On day 1, I will get the Paclitaxel (hereafter referred to as Taxol), and on day 2, I will get Cisplatin and Bevacizumab (hereafter referred to as Avastin). It is a 21-day cycle of treatment, so I’ll have
treatment every third Tuesday and Wednesday starting this coming Tuesday, September 21st.

And I even got a prize for my participation - MT Bee gave me an exclusive Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Crystals of Hope bracelet. Isn’t it pretty? Each color represents a different color cancer ribbon: cervical is teal. So now you know what color ribbon to wear on your lapel when you give your Academy Award acceptance speech!

And that, dear readers, means that the next time you hear from me will be after my first treatment. I hope I’m still smiling :-)

Oh - I almost forgot to mention my adventures in purple. Hair, that is. My roots were growing out, and for those of you that haven’t seen me in a while, my natural hair color has taken on a decidedly, shall we say, smoky flavour. So I had the bright idea to dye my roots purple - after all, my hair will fall out soon. Well... much of my scalp is bright purple. Most of my hair is still black. My roots are still gray. And only a very small bit actually turned purple like it was supposed to. Live and learn!

Until next time...

4 comments:

Jasminebuttrfly said...

I love reading your blog, I look forward to getting them and they always make me laugh. I love how your write. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tink,
You are at the top of my "People I Admire For Their Positive Attitude, Love Of Life, Bravery, Strength, Courage, Determination And Smiling Face" list.
We'll love you with purple, black, gray or no hair.
You remain in our thoughts and prayers.
(^_^) (^_^) (^_^)

Unknown said...

You don't know me but I was directed to this blog by a friend of yours in scotland. Reading some of your posts had me misting up but also smiling. Kudos to you for such am awesome attitude. Not assuming any religous affiliation but hope it cheers you to know that odd peoples in far off Scotchland are praying for your recovery.

CopyCat62982 said...

I agree with Anonymous! Your attitude is truly inspiring. Keep it up, Linda. We are all praying for a quick victory!