06 September 2010

somethingz different...

...I can't quite put my finger on it...

I heard voices when I woke up this morning. Voices of my Mom. And my MT Bee. And it was cold outside. In the 50’s, I’m told. This doesn’t feel right. This feels like.... And sounds like.... New England!

Surprise! Surprise! It IS New England! Yes, I am here in Ye Olde Andover. Sitting in my 2nd floor room with pitched ceilings. Got my favorite books. Got some warm clothes. Got my giant red pillow. Got stuff to keep me busy. Got work. Got knitting.

After having a WHOLE LOTTA help packing from my family, my MO Leo drove me and my stuff here safely. We had two nice visits on the way up: one with the Tall Man, the other with MT Marie and the Boys-and-Boys. I was glad to arrive on Tuesday and get settled in.

My first appointment at Dana-Farber was on Friday at 7:30 am. When the nurse called to schedule it, I was told to be there by 6:45 in order to have time to fill out the requisite paperwork. Dr C, I was told, likes to be prompt. And so, we woke up in the middle of the night and were on the road by 4:30. My cousin-in-law Bill was our driver and after umpteen hundreds of trips to D-F with Pops over the years, we trusted that he would get us there safely and on time. Which he did - we even had enough minutes to spare to fit in a quick breakfast first!

Turns out, punctual Dr C was running late! But no bother. I immediately liked her; she was personable and thorough in her questioning. When the subject of the clinical trial came up, she felt it would be a great fit for me and was extremely pleased that I hadn’t had any treatment before coming up (if you remember, there was a possibility of a “boost” of radiation - lucky for me I canceled that). I had done my research, and she was impressed with my tendency toward compulsivity. Click here to see a short video - I bet you'll like her too!

Tomorrow I go for a CT-scan and blood work. Then the following Tuesday, I go back to meet with the person running the clinical trial. The trial drug is Bevacizumab, which I can for some inexplicable reason just this moment remember how to pronounce (bĕ və sĭ´ zō măb), that also goes by the name Avastin if you’re in a Google sort of mood.

I don't know how soon after that appointment I will begin treatment, but I'm ready to get started like right now! C'mon, Dr C - let's get a move on!

Before I go, I want to send a big warm HUG to all the people in Florida and other southern states that I will be far from over the next however long. The tears may have dried, but I am still missing you terribly!

Until next time.... ♥

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Tinkerbell, your sunny smile still shines on our walls and your hearty laughter still echoes in our rooms here in Florida
Thank God that you are in good hands--Mom and MT Bee--and off to a good start at DF.
We are with you in spirit and prayer...XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Unknown said...

I DO like Dr. C! Look's like you're off and running! I expected no less from a "winner!"

XXOO

Dee

CopyCat62982 said...

I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out/see a movie before you left. :-( If you're not back by November I'll miss you at the HP7 midnight showing. It just can't be the same. You'll be here in spirit, I know! :0) Good luck and I'll be praying for you to kick butt and take notes!

Anonymous said...

Sie gewinnt!

Anonymous said...

Sie Gewinnt!

Anonymous said...

No doubt you will be in good hands,
keep up your courage and we will keep our prayers supporting you.
Your smiling face is on my mind.