26 September 2010

crushed toez and picklez


This week, I wrote a new chapter in my Cancer Book: I started chemo. The BIG chemo. My mom and I trekked out to Dana-Farber at 5:30 Tuesday morning. We arrived late for my 7:30 appointment because of the can’t-believe-it-till-you-see-it Boston traffic. I got whisked through seeing Dr C, bloodwork, vitals - with a long pause for breakfast - and then off to the 10th floor for the infusion. The over 7-hour infusion!

I was hooked up at around 10:15. Got a big dose of fluids for hydration and pre-meds to head off any reactions the chemo drugs might cause (Benadryl, Decadron, Xantac, Aloxi, Emend). Then it was time for chemo:
3 hours of Taxol
30 minutes of Mannitol
30 minutes of Cisplatin
90 minutes of Avastin

I spent most of the day in varying degrees of recline. My mom sat with me and we chatted some, but mostly read or watched TV. If you can imagine how boring it is to be hooked up to an IV drip for that long, imagine being the person sitting next to the one hooked up to the IV drip. At least I was in a recliner and could get comfortable. My mom was just sitting in an ordinary chair. Waiting.... Waiting..... Waiting.........

I finally got unhooked at 6:00. I was amped up enough from the Dex (Decadron) to drive home, but when it wore off the next day, baby did it WEAR OFF. I was (to use Pops’s phrase) wrung out. Tired from the effects of chemo, but compounded by coming down off the Dex. And then, the pain began.

My old neuropathy was simple. I felt like I was still wearing socks after I’d taken them off, and my feet were always cold. This time, it hurts. The bottoms of my feet are numb. But the tops of my feet feel like someone is standing on them (and no, that isn’t because a wonderful Rottweiler has parked herself on top of me). My knees and ankles feel like they are being squeezed in a vice. I had trouble sleeping the first night of that, but then my Mom put on her Mommy Hat and rubbed my legs and feet before bed and it made the pain go away. (Thank you SO MUCH Mom!!! You’re the best!!!) (And yes, I do know how spoiled I am!)

What I had been dreading the most - the nausea - hasn’t been too bad. I have had moments here and there, but MO Leo taught me the pickle trick. Apparently, there’s an old naval remedy for seasickness which is, basically, eat a pickle. I’ve tried it and it seems to work. So far, my nausea has been very minor and not lingering. I’ve had a few pickles here and there, a few anti-emetics here and there, but so far no puking. So far.

Today is a good day. The neuropathy isn’t too bad, mostly numb, no real pain. I did some chores and walked the dog and I might even go to the movies tonight. Tom’s coming to visit so I’m sure we’ll play some cards. And the best part? I still have two more weeks before I have to go do it all over again!

And see? I’m still smiling!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog left me in tears.
Can't think of any witty things to write.
Know this: You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you for sharing the minutia...any reader can feel a part of your experience.
You will win, Tinkerbell!

Jasminebuttrfly said...

I'm thankful for your mom, that she was there to help your pain go away.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the spirits and know that you have someone saying rosary for you and her MOM to Didn't know about the pickle trick have to remember to tell my friend who going through chemo thank for the info may God bless you and guide you through this journey

kathy said...

Hi Linda,

I am so sorry you have to go thru this Again. You are in my prayers. I know you amazing family is there for you. You Kick butt!!!

Kathy Perry

kathy said...

Hi Linda,

I am so sorry you have to go thru this AGAIN! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you amazing family is going to be right there for you. You Kick Butt!!!


Kathy