15 October 2008

frankenlinda goes back on the slab

Here's an anatomy lesson:

People have lots of intestines. And those intestines are not stuck in one place in the body - most of them float around in abdominal space, free to be where they want. I, apparently, am not most people. Parts of my instestines are attached. To my uterus.

Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem. I could go my whole life with my small bowel attached to my uterus and never know the difference. But since I also have cervical cancer, and thus my uterus needs to be bombarded with high doses of radiation, this creates for me a problem. This creates for me the need for more surgery.

Don't I look happy about this?


More surgery means that the timeline that I had grown so emotionally attached to is no longer viable. And just to put an explanation point on that, Dr F has planned five more external radiations, only these will be to a much smaller area. So basically, I was all set to being finished by October 29, but I was the only one! Now I'm just hoping to be finished by Thanksgiving.

(expletive) (expletive) (expletive)

Tomorrow at 9:30 am, I will undergo laparascopy (oh goodie!) to see if whatever is attaching my bowel to my uterus can be snipped, and a barrier placed between them so it won't reattach.

Which means today, I'm prepping. This time, it's Fleet® phospho-soda, an anti-emetic, and two antibiotics. I have a strict dosing schedule to follow, and I've just gagged my way through dose 2 of the diarrhea-inducing soda plus the nausea-inducing antibiotics.

Oh, on top of all that, I found out this morning that I have a UTI, which means even more antibiotics. Oh joy!

John has been a real trooper - I have lost count of the times I've needed to lean on him. He always knows just the right thing to say, and the right way to say it. I really couldn't get through this without his support. I don't know if I'll ever be able to thank him enough...


the two-headed dog loses its tail, but gains a satellite collar (or two)

One good thing that has happened is that I pulled my stitch out! To be exact, I pulled two stitches out. One was about 1/2 inch long and came out strand by strand. The other was longer, all coiled up, and was a bit more difficult to get out. It's ok for me to talk about it now, but at the time, I was on the verge of losing my cookies. It was just so gross!

To add to the gross-ness, on Tuesday I had a Huber needle attached so that there would be an easier time in pre-op tomorrow. It doesn't hurt, but not a second goes by that I'm not aware of it. (click for a pic)


doctors are human too

And finally, as a follow-up to the last post, Dr F sent me a nice flower arrangement with a note of encouragement last Friday.


It came on a day that I really needed a pick-me-up =)

Like today. I could really use a pick-me-up. Or maybe a pick-me-upper?!? But, alas, I'll have to settle for an anti-emetic. C'est la vie!

Thanks for all your words of inspiration and motivation - it really does mean alot to me to hear from you and to know you're thinking of me when I'm facing these challenges. What would we do without the internet???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Linda,
The title of this blog was hilarious!!!! :) :) :) :)
The content of the blog was not. It made me feel sad and frustrated and angry. For you.
The talented way with which you injected (no pun intended!) dry wit into such a serious and challenging situation is admirable...and reflects the strength and courage that flows through your veins (no pun intended!)
Who knows...this latest journey into the nether world of anesthesia may induce a blog of Alice in Wonderland proportion!
Bless John for being such a wonderful, supportive S.O.
With soothing thoughts and loving energy sent your way, MT Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Linda: Glad we could holler "hey" to you last night. Wish we could be closer for support; will be saying extra prayers for you tonight and tomorrow; will offer up all the times I want to swear and bite my tongue as an extra grace for your intestine issue. I'll look forward to hearing that this new "challenge" (don't you just hate it when people call a horrible thing you have to go through a "callenge"?) anyway when it's over and you're back to feeling ok. Please know that we (Bill and I)pray for you daily and you are in my prayers when I start my Rosary at night (even if I do fall asleep before I finish it).... take care; God Bless you and John! Love, emilie

Anonymous said...

Linda-
I admire the way you are dealing with this- although I can only imagine what you endure before converting it to humor for the rest of us (and yourself). Kudos to you.
Some words of encouragement:Not only can you do this; you are doing it. You have been blessed with a great sense of humor and now it is carrying you through this ordeal. I hope it takes you far, far beyond it and that you never, ever have to look back.
Love,
Abbe

Anonymous said...

You are running into many bumps in your road to being cured. I'm thankful that you are able to take these in stride and also keep your funny bone functioning as you focus on your goal.
John is a VERY SPECIAL man in the wonderful support he provides you--it's his battle also! I'm very thankful that he's by your side.
My prayers continue for your CURE.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

My sweet Linda, I know that things don't always go like an assembly line. How I wish that you wouldn't have to go through this. I am glad you have John at your side. As usual, I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Before you know it, you'll be looking back on all of this with relief that it is over.
Love, Mems

October 15, 2008 7:53 PM